5.16.2009

Old sensation, new inspiration

Maybe it is some kind of inner rebel within, but my reaction is often the opposite of what it should when listening to motivational speakers.  Something about someone intending to motivate me with their lively actions and upbeat words is just too deliberate for me.  Perhaps I feel that if I willing go to something that is purposely supposed to motivate me, I am missing something within myself.  On the other hand, great stories of great people who did great things---acting purely from their heart to do the impossible--hook me in an instant.

Man on a Wire is a film about Phillippe Petit.  You know, the guy who simply just strung a wire from one Twin Tower to the next and danced across it for 45 minutes.  Actually, I hadn't heard of him, nor the event, and merely stumbled across the documentary on Netflix (amazing I get Netflix delivered under my rock).  Voila!  I am instantly obsessed.  Aside from the fact that he performed an incredible feat, the documentary details something even greater: his determination to do the impossible because it is his dream and it is what he loves to do.  

What is it in some people that fills every cell of their body with life and curiosity while others are satisfied doing what they are "supposed to do"?  What makes someone do something extraordinary when others are happy just living life by the rules?  I'm not sure the answer, but I'm looking for it.  And when I find it, don't expect to find me on a wire, but doing something similar.  


No comments: