8.03.2008

Did you remember to take your exercise pill?

At some point, I am sure that I have revealed my love of the NPR program Science Friday to everyone I know.  I rarely get to listen to it, but podcast and occasionally catch up on the segments I have missed.  Last week's program had a researcher who has created a pill to trick our muscles into thinking that they have exercised.  Thus, the researcher has created the long awaited 'exercise in a bottle'!  As I played devil's advocate in my car, as if I were on peer review for the article/journal, I was listing all of the reasons this wouldn't work.  There are so many things that exercise provides for us that this pill could not.  On the other hand, what a breakthrough for people who have disease processes that create atrophy of muscles.  A review of the article was in Scientific American.  It is worth a read... 

Could a pill replace exercise?

No comments: