8.24.2008

Fibroblasts and fascia are my favorites

Few things make me as excited as fibroblasts and fascia do.  Okay, okay.  That is a bit of a stretch, but it doesn't change the fact that I think that these cells and tissues are insanely interesting.  Bare with me as I share my nerdy side.

A fibroblast is a cell that is found all over the body within connective tissue.  It helps to create and maintain the matrix of our tissues.  By definition, it makes and secretes collagen.  This is very important for the upkeep of our muscles, ligaments, and tendons and is crucial for wound healing.  Graston Technique, and possibly even some forms of massage, stimulate fibroblasts and accelerates the healing process of damaged tissues.  It is also likely that as the fibroblast is stimulated, it changes shape and thus secretes different amounts of, or even just different, hormones.

Fascia is my second favorite child.  It is a tissue that is also found all over the body and surrounds organs, muscles, nerves... you name it.  Most people know that this is important for the structure of our body and for the function of joints and muscles.  It can be too tight or too lax and cause dysfunction.  And while fascia has the ability to relax, it can also contract.  When it has been contracted too long, it begins to get thicker.  It is this change or increase in thickness and tensile strength that can cause dysfunction.  Imagine that the muscles of your shoulders and neck become tight when you get stressed.  This process contracts the fascia.  Now imagine that you have stress and  a stiff neck and shoulders all the time.  Can you imagine that this would eventually cause pain?  

Sometimes the details of how our body works can be information overload.  While it is likely that you won't be adding fibroblasts and fascia to the top ten list of your favorite things, I hope that it gives you some insight into how our body functions. 

P.S. Did you know that fascia is the tissue that is being manipulated in acupuncture?  It actually binds, clings or wraps around the needle being inserted.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I love this! You can be "nerdy" all you want as I love sponging information off you. Thanks for sharing your plethora of knowledge with your readers!

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I stumbled upon this post while googling "Fascia" for a paper I am writing for my Kinesiology Class. I've been geek-ing out so much on Fascia and Fibroblasts that I had just changed my FB profile pic to a shot of Facial Fibrolasts and make a caption saying they were "neato".
I cannot get enough info on Fascia and am stunned with how little know about it much less respect it.
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one super excited about it.
:)